Effect of the seedling age and Compost to the growth of Palm Date Lulu (Phoenix Dactylifera L.) Nursery and Investigation of Female Seedling on Soil of Sub-Optimal Land
Keywords:date, palm, seedling, age, compost, characteristics, female
Bernas SM, Fitriana M, Wijaya A, Fitri SNA. 2020. Effect of the seedling age and compost to the growth of palm date lulu (Phoenix Dactylifera L.) nursery and investigation of female seedling. Jurnal Lahan Suboptimal : Journal of Suboptimal Lands 9(2): 199-207.
Indonesia imported very high amount of date palm fruits about 9.99 million kg or US$ 13.18 M, because of that it is necessary to develop a research about date palm seedling nursery and investigation of female date, since this is a dioecious plant. The aim of this investigation was to find out characteristics of female date seedling and the effects of seedling age and compost on seedling growth. There were 2 steps in this research: the first was application of compost on seedling (without and plus compost treatments) and the age of seedling (15 and 30 days old) for transplanting into polybag, the growth ability of plant was monitored. The second step was transplanting seedling at 30 days old into pan for investigation female date, which 20 seedlings were planted in one pan and replicated 3 times.Â Results showed that compost increased roots and leaves growth on seedling.Â Transplanted at 30 days old seedling had the ability to grow about 95% compared to 15 days old was only 45%. It was found that female seedling was about 25% and the rest (75%) was male or sterile. It is needed further investigation on growing female seedling in the field and can it produce fruit.
How to Cite
Jurnal Lahan Suboptimal: Journal of Suboptimal Lands article's license is CC-BY-SA 4.0.Â This license lets others distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon author's work, even commercially, as long as they credit the original creation.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under aÂ Creative Commons Attribution License-ShareAlike (CC BY-SA 4.0) licenseÂ that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).